It is our duty to ensure that the financial institutions holding the settlement funds have the money invested in the safest manner possible and in accordance with the terms of the settlement.
S3 has experienced individuals and attorneys on staff who have worked on thousands of mass tort cases. Our streamlined distribution processes save considerable time, expense, and effort—all to the benefit of the law firms and their clients.
Qualified Settlement Funds
Qualified Settlement Funds (QSF) can be very useful in a personal injury lawsuit. Created under Section 468B of the Internal Revenue Code, this type of fund is a “parking lot” for the immediate receipt of the entire settlement amount. By funding a QSF, constructive receipt issues that could jeopardize the tax-free nature of the settlement are avoided.
Benefits for the Attorney
- Control of funds while negotiating liens, determining distributions and preserving Medicaid and Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Eliminates interference from the defendant during the claims administration process
- Lower risk of insolvency or non-payment by the defendant
Benefits for the Plaintiff
- Protection of qualified tax-exempt status of settlement proceeds
- Freedom to make decisions about investments and distribution options without worrying about the defendant
- Maintenance of eligibility for Medicaid benefits in the period of time before a Special Needs Trust is created
DOWNLOAD OUR INTAKE PACKET
11211 Taylor Draper Ln, Austin, TX 78759
West Coast Office:
101 W Broadway, #220, Oakland, CA 94607